Friday, March 21, 2008

Not What My Hands Have Done

Tonight All Souls held its second Good Friday Service. We gathered as a community in candle light to read scripture and sing about Christ's sacrifice. It was powerful as Kirk shared from Genesis 15:1-12 and 17-18a about the covenant that God made with Abram that was ultimately looking forward to what would be fulfilled in Christ. The picture of our God walking through slaughtered animals and upholding a covenant that we could never keep just presented a vivid picture of Christ's road to the cross. I am looking forward to Sunday morning's celebration of our risen Lord!

For me, this song says it all.

Not What My Hands Have Done
(Words by Horatius Bonar, Music by Kevin Twit)

Not what my hands have done, can save my guilty soul
Not what my toiling flesh has borne, can make my spirit whole
Not what I feel or do, can give me peace with God
Not all my prayers and sighs and tears, can bear my awful load.

Thy work alone O Christ, can ease the weight of sin
Thy blood alone O Lamb of God, can give me peace within
Thy love to me O God, Not mine O Lord to Thee
Can rid me of this dark unrest, and set my spirit free!

Thy grace alone O God, to me can pardon speak
Thy power alone O Son of God, can this sore bondage break
No other work save Thine, no other blood will do
No strength save that which is divine, can bear me safely thru.

I bless the Christ of God, I rest on Love divine,
And with unfaltering lip and heart, I call this Savior mine
His cross dispels each doubt, I bury in His tomb
My unbelief, and all my fear, each lingering shade of gloom.

I praise the God of grace, I trust his truth and might
He calls me His, I call Him mine, my God, my joy, my light
Tis He who saveth me, and freely pardon gives
I love because He loveth me, I live because He lives!

I hope each of you has a blessed Easter!

No comments: