Sunday, August 12, 2007

Missoula, Glacier National, Canmore

Kirk and I headed out for vacation on Thursday morning (after I got a haircut that could not wait). We made it all the way to Missoula, MT that night (about a 12 hour drive). We spent the next day with Ryan and Rachel, church planters in Missoula. It was great to catch up with them, hear about their ministry and reacquaint ourselves with Missoula. We went to dinner that night at the Iron Horse and sat outside listening to a local band. What a great way to start our vacation! We got up Saturday morning said goodbye to Ryan, Rachel, Bridger and Asher (their two adorable little boys) and headed north.

Saturday was spent driving through upper Northern Montana around Flathead Lake, gorgeous and Glacier National Park, absolutely beautiful!!! We didn't stop to hike in the park but decided to go ahead and make our way to Canada and our ultimate destination Canmore (20 minutes from Banff). The drive from the US border to Calgary was stunning, with lots of ranches and farms. From Calgary to Canmore we started seeing more rolling hills as we headed toward the Canadian Rockies.



Here are some pictures of Flathead Lake in Northern Montana. My former boss in St. Louis, Bud, said this was one of his favorite places to visit. I can see why. Trivia note, it is the largest natural fresh water lake in the U.S. and it goes on for miles. Correction, it is the largest natural fresh water lake west of the Mississippi.



Some kind folks took a picture of us. As you can tell behind us we are high up and the bottom is way down. Kirk and I decided that our friend Chris in St. Louis definitely could not make this trip. He would "no likey" the drive!

Here is a picture of a glacier. There are not many left, sadly, in this beautiful park. I'll have to get the stats and post them later.

This is St. Mary's lake as we were exiting the park. As you can see it is beautiful.



Hello Canada!!!

1 comment:

Katie said...

I love that you guys got to getaway on a real vacation!!!! Enjoy each other and this time!!