Tuesday, December 26, 2006

Reflections

Kirk and I are sitting here relaxing after a couple of whirlwind weeks. We have had a wonderful Christmas with friends. On Christmas Eve we were delighted to see two of our dear friends from St. Louis, Deb and Josh Lauer who came to worship with us. Then that afternoon we headed up to Estes Park to a couple's home from our church with nine other people for Christmas Eve dinner, caroling and sharing (see pictures). During the sharing time we were asked to relate our most memorable Christmas. As I sat there thinking it was hard to come up with a most memorable one. The one I decided to share was the time our family flew to Syracuse, New York to be with my Mom's side of the family. It would be the first white Christmas and I was so excited. It began to snow on Christmas Eve and we woke the next morning to more gifts than I had ever seen in my life. It was memorable because I realized that the quantity of gifts is not always as satisfying as the quality of the gift. Isn't it interesting how we have become a culture where we want, want, want and want more, when all we need is very little. I was reminded of how poignant this season really is. Jesus came to live among us and gave us all we will ever need through his sacrifice. Hopefully someday I will realize that I don't need all the things I want, but have everything in the finished work of Christ.

No comments: