Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Creamy Salmon, Asparagus and Mushrooms

This recipe is one of my all time favorites. It is from Cooking Light and the original recipe uses chicken versus the salmon. I tweaked the recipe in Boulder for one of our parties and it became an instant favorite for me. It is great with the chicken as well so you can't go wrong!

Here is the original recipe and I will follow with my changes.

Creamy Chicken and Mushrooms

Ingredients
2 cups uncooked medium egg noodles
Cooking Spray
1 pound skinless , boneless chicken breasts, cut into bite-size pieces
1 teaspoon olive oil
1/2 cup chopped shallots
1 (8-ounce) package pre-sliced mushrooms
1/2 cup dry white wine (if cold, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minute)
1 cup fat-free milk (if cold, microwave for 30 seconds to 1 minutes)
2 teaspoons all purpose flour
1/3 cup (3 ounces) spreadable cheese with garlic and herbs (such as Alouette)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley
1/4 teaspoon black pepper
Chopped fresh parsley (optional)

Preparation
1. Cook pasta according to package directions, omitting salt (I add salt, pasta just does not taste cook without a little salt in the water in my opinion.)
2. While pasta cooks, heat a large non-stick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add chicken, saute 4 minutes or until done. Remove chicken from pan, set aside.
3. Heat oil in pan over medium-high heat. Add shallots, saute 1 minute. Add mushrooms, saute 4 minutes. Add wine and cook for 3 minutes or until liquid almost evaporates.
4. Combine milk and flour in a small bowl, stir well with a whisk. Add milk mixture to pan; cook 3 minutes or until slightly thick. Add chicken, cheese, 2 tablespoons parsley and pepper; reduce heat and simmer for 3 minutes or until thoroughly heated. Serve over pasta, sprinkle with parsley, if desired.

4 Servings (serving size 3/4 cup chicken mixture and 3/4 cup pasta) 338 calories

Substituting salmon and adding asparagus
3/4 pounds salmon, skin removed, cut into bite size pieces
Bunch of Asparagus, cut into 1 inch pieces (I use the top and 1 inch of the stalk)

Start preparation with #3. Add the asparagus with the mushrooms. Add the salmon when you add the herb and garlic cheese, parsley and pepper in #4. I simmer until salmon is cooked through, usually about 5 minutes versus 3 minutes.

It is so delicious!

2 comments:

Glenda Adkisson said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Glenda Adkisson said...

So ... I think I know what we're having for dinner tomorrow night. this looks great.