Wednesday, June 1, 2011

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs w/Quinoa Salad

Tonight's meal is one of our new favorites. It is from the September 2010 Cooking Light magazine.

Spicy Honey-Brushed Chicken Thighs

Ingredients
2 tsps garlic powder
2 tsps chili powder
1 tsp salt
1 tsp ground cumin
1 tsp paprika
1/2 tsp ground red pepper
8 skinless boneless chicken thighs
Cooking Spray
6 tbs honey
2 tsps cider vinegar

Preparation
1. Preheat broiler
2. Combine first 6 ingredients in a large bowl. Add chicken to bowl; toss to coat. Place chicken on a broiler pan coated with cooking spray. Broil chicken 5 minutes on each side.
3. Combine honey and vinegar in a small bowl, stirring well. Remove chicken from oven; brush 1/4 cup honey mixture on chicken. Broil 1 minute. Remove chicken from oven and turn over. Brush chicken with remaining honey mixture. Broil 1 additional minute or until chicken is done.

Yields 4 servings (serving size 2 chicken thighs) 321 calories

*If you haven't used chicken thighs a lot, which I had not, they usually have a lot of fat/skin left on them. I trim it as much as I can. I have used boneless chicken breasts cut into smaller pieces as well. The thighs have a better flavor as the breasts can tend to dry out. If you use chicken breasts you may want to adjust the time.

Quinoa Salad

Ingredients
3/4 cup uncooked quinoa
1/4 to 1/2 cup minced red bell pepper
1/4 cup chopped green onion
3 tbs fresh lemon juice
1 1/2 tbs olive oil
1/2 tsp kosher salt
1 1/2 tsps honey
1/4 tsp black pepper
1 peach, pear or apple (you can slice or chop, whatever your preference)

Preparation
1. Bring 1 1/2 cups water to a boil in a medium sauce pan; add 3/4 uncooked quinoa. Cover, reduce heat, and simmer 20 minutes. Cool quinoa slightly.
2. Stir in remaining ingredients.

Yields 4 servings (serving size 1 cup) 196 calories

*I prefer to chop the fruit as it allows you to have the sweetness of the fruit with every bite. If you prefer slices I think the peaches work the best. This salad is awesome! Be prepared to eat more than one serving!

Enjoy!

No comments: