Wednesday, June 22, 2011

Pork Cashew Stir Fry

Tonight I fixed a favorite recipe from a December 2001 special issue of SuperFast Suppers by Cooking Light. I serve it over Jasmine rice and it is delicious!

Ingredients
1 cup uncooked Jasmine rice
1/4 cup low-sodium soy sauce
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 pound pork tenderloin, trimmed and cut into 1/4 inch thick slices
4 cups (2-inch) cut green beans (about 1 pound) or 1-2 bag sugar snap peas
2 teaspoons dark sesame oil
1 to 2 tablespoons minced peeled fresh or bottled ground fresh ginger
2 garlic cloves, minced, or 1 teaspoon bottled minced garlic
1/4 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
1/4 cup chopped unsalted cashews, toasted

Preparation
1. Cook the rice according to package directions, omitting salt and fat.
2. While the rice is cooking, combine soy sauce and cornstarch in a medium bowl; add pork, stirring to coat. Cover and chill.
3. Place the beans in a large saucepan of boiling water, and cook for 5 minutes. Drain the beans, and plunge into ice water. Drain. I prefer using sugar snap peas. I do not boil in water, but add when indicated below as boiling them makes them too soft for my taste.
4. Heat sesame oil in a large nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray over medium-high heat. Add ginger and garlic; saute for 1 minute. I use the bottled ginger and garlic as it saves time and it tastes really good. Add pork mixture; stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes. Stir in beans (or sugar snap peas); stir-fry 1 1/2 minutes or until pork is done. Stir in broth; reduce heat, and simmer 2 minutes. Serve over rice; sprinkle with cashews.

Serves 4 (serving size: 1 cup stir-fry, 1/2 cup rice, and 1 tablespoon cashews) 349 calories

Enjoy!

1 comment:

Deanna H said...

That sounds wonderful!