Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Life

So I am feeling reflective tonight. I was reading through the blogs of friends whom I love dearly and I was struck by life. From a sweet post of a visit to Grant's Farm for a 2 year old, to a homecoming of sorts for friends back in Guatemala after leaving a year ago, to a friend who was reflecting on death, to a friend whose 5 year old son has the funniest things to say, to a friend whose son has leukodystrophy. Life in all it's beauty and hardships.

Each one of these friends rely on something greater than themselves to navigate the ups and downs of this life. They rely on their relationship with Jesus who they give all the glory to and who they run to for strength just to get through the day.

Kirk and I sat with a friend last night as she poured out her heart and her hurt over a relationship that has ended. In the midst of all her pain and her processing we could see Jesus walking with her every step of the way. We saw true forgiveness, the way it is supposed to be, and grace. How God showed up when she was weak and shined brightly through her. It was such a testimony to me of how God shows up and works in our weakness and even though we don't feel it or see it...other people do!

The older you get, the more life you live and the more chances that life will throw you curve balls. I have been reflecting about the Holy Spirit and His role in my life, in our lives. I have felt Him during deep trials in my life. Jesus said as he was leaving to return to his Father that He was sending us a Comforter, God in the Spirit and this Spirit lives inside of me. He gives me guidance, wisdom and comfort. He is life changing!

One of my favorite passages in Scripture is Isaiah 43:1-3a. I was reminded in one of the blogs I read tonight of a song we sing at All Souls that is taken from that passage titled, appropriately, Isaiah 43. I have typed the song below.

Isaiah 43
When you pass through the waters, I will be with you, and the waves will not overcome you. Do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name you are mine. For I am the Lord your God. I am the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I am the Lord. Do not fear.

When you walk through the fire, you'll not be burned. And the flames will not consume you. Do not fear, for I have redeemed you. I have called you by name you are mine. For I am the Lord your God. I am the Holy One of Israel, your Savior. I am the Lord. Do not fear.

All I can say is thank you, thank you, thank you sweet Father, Son and Holy Spirit! My heart is filled with gratitude and praise that you walk beside me through this life.

2 comments:

The Wagners said...

Hey there! You've been tagged! Check out my blog for details...

The Wagners said...

Great post Deb. He is with us always, thankfully!

Love yea,

Big Wags

PS Alex is a little funny!