Monday, February 4, 2008

Where did January go?

I can't believe it is February already! January ended in a flurry of activity. Our friends Carrie and Shayne Wheeler from All Souls Fellowship in Decatur, GA came out for their second annual Winter Park getaway. We headed to the mountains and freezing weather! The highs were around 3 with -20 wind chill. Brrrr...The guys went skiing and Carrie and I stuck close to the fire and talked for hours, read and slept....it was great! Next year they are coming out a couple of days earlier so we have more time to play!

The cabin we stayed at in Winter Park.


Shayne preached for Kirk that Sunday morning.


Sweet Carrie!

The following week Kirk and I headed to San Antonio for a conference. What an amazing couple of days we had getting refreshed and renewed for church planting and what God is doing in Boulder. I came away from the conference with the realization it is not all about me (which is inherant in my thinking). The speaker said we should always be asking "God help me see what you see." One of the quotes I took away was "Working in your non-strengths insures medicority." What freedom and peace that one statement brought me. I can't do everything, even though the perfectionist in me thinks I can. After 48 years I am learning, slowly but surely.

The hotel in San Antonio. We were on the River Walk which is right downtown. We were across the street from the Alamo.


Me and Leanne at the airport waiting for our flight home.



Sam and Leanne. They planted a church in downtown Denver called City Presbyterian Church. Great friends and mentors!

Sometimes we still can't believe the calling God placed on our hearts has become a reality and from His hand a church was born. I am so in love with the people of All Souls as I learn their stories and walk beside them. At times it hasn't been easy, but neither is life. These are real people with real stories, some that break my heart at times. But God is teaching me what it looks like to love in the midst of disappointment. I can sometimes find myself with a savior complex and God gently reminds me that only He can be their Savior. Thank you Jesus!

No comments: